When is it time to replace my roof?
Knowing when to replace a roof is one of our most popular questions. There are several key signs that indicate roof replacement is in order, such as:
- Bucking and curling shingles. Bucked shingles occur when moisture in the attic space causes nails to push out of place and loosen the shingle. This compromises the shingles’ performance and exposes the roof to the elements, which can result in leaks and even more moisture damage.
- Algae growth. Bacteria from algae eats through the shingles, especially if they are low-cost shingles that are made primarily of limestone.
- Missing granules. Asphalt roofing shingles are made up of small granules. When these granules come loose, it can impact the shingles’ performance. You can locate missing granulates by looking for fragments in the gutter system.
- Missing shingles. Professional roofing contractors are highly skilled at roofing installation and keeping shingles in place. However, these can blow away in the wind or become loose as they age. Missing shingles can allow rainwater into the home.
- Mold in the attic. This is one of the most concerning aspects of roof replacement. Mold forms in areas such as the rafter beams and the plywood on the underside of the roof.
What are my options if I decide to reroof?
You have 2 options:
a) a full roof replacement OR
b) a re-cover of the existing roof system.
- A complete roof replacement requires that your entire existing roof system be redone. This involves a “tear-off” of your existing system and is a full-blown roofing process. Cost depends on the type of shingle, style and warranty/durability you choose. Talk to your local roofing professionals to get advice on what best suits your needs and your budget.
- A re-cover of your roof system is the less demanding option. This process involves only the installation of the new roof system, meaning that new shingles get installed on top of the old ones. However, this is not recommended nor is it always possible to do.
An insurance claims specialist will help you go over your options and decide what is the best option for you and your roof.
My roof leaks. Do I need to have it replaced completely?
A leaking roof is a bad thing. However, it doesn’t necessarily warrant a complete roof replacement. How much work needs to be done on your roof depends on the level of damage caused by leaking. Talking to a professional is the best way to know whether only minor repair OR a full roof replacement is necessary.
There are many problems that can lead to roof leaking, which is why it’s important to inspect your roof periodically and check for common warning signs. You can perform this inspection yourself or call Elite adjusting group at 773.263.3975 for a free roof inspection!
How do I know what type of roofing shingle is best for my roof and my budget?
Picking from hundreds of companies and colors may be hard, but with Elite we make it easy for you! A company representative will set up a personalized meeting for you and your roof. At this meeting your representative will go over prices, colors, as well as the different companies/brands we can use on your roof. We will work with you and find the best solution for your roof!
How do you protect my home from damage during the roof installation?
Every home is different when it comes to setting up for a new roof so we don’t have a “one-size fits all” answer to this question.
What we can tell you is that our material haulers we use to transport the materials are loaded up for every job with an arsenal of protective materials. Before the work begins we install Catch-All Nets, which are a new and easy way to protect your home and your landscape from falling debris. While we work on your house, we use protective tarps to cover any needed part of your roof while we are not working on it.